Membership of Professional Societies
Currently Member of: (i) American Society of Materials.
(1963-1969) University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST), Department of Metallurgy
B.Sc. (2.1 Hons) 1966
Ph.D. 1969 The Influence of Microstructure on Fatigue, Tensile Deformation, and Fracture Characteristics of Al-Zn-Mg Alloys.
Research & Work Experience
1969-1970 UMIST Post-doctoral Research Fellow
1970-2013+* DSTO Presently Principal Research Scientist
1991-2013 Research Associate, Dept. Materials Engineering, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
+ Mar-Nov '84 at Open University, Alcan International and Harwell (AERE), as a Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) Research Fellow (U.K.).
* July '88 - Sept '89 Seconded to Royal Aerospace Establishment, Farnborough, U.K. Regularly requested to review papers for international journals, including Acta Materialia, Scripta Materialia, Metall. Trans., Materials Forum, Mat. Sci. & Engng, and Corrosion. Have also acted as an examiner for Theses from various universities, and acted as an assessor for the Australian Research Grants Committee
Conference & Publications
Major contributions have been made to understanding (i) the mechanisms and kinetics of environmentally assisted cracking, (ii) intergranular embrittlement of Al-Li alloys (including developing a patented heat-treatment to improve the short-transverse fracture toughness), (iii) the mechanisms of fatigue crack-initiation and growth, and (iv) ductile versus brittle fracture behaviour in inert environments. Significant contributions have also been made to the field of failure analysis and prevention using, in part, the fundamental understanding obtained by the above studies. Metallographic and fractographic techniques have used extensively throughout my career. Around 75 papers have been published in refereed journals, and about 40 papers in conference proceedings, on these topics. Four book chapters reviewing the above topics have been published in the last 2 years, and another one is in press. Many papers have sole authorship, reflecting the fact that the design, execution, and analysis of the experiments were carried out without significant assistance.
- Presented 4-day course on Failure Analysis and Prevention in 1988 & 1989 at ASM, Cleveland, USA.
- Research Associate/Adjunct in Dept. of Materials Engineering at Monash University since 1995, involved in co-supervising PhD and other student projects. Lecture course on Failure Analysis and Prevention presented every year to 4th yr students 1993-2007. (Have also co-supervised PhD students at Univ. New South Wales.)
- Represented DSTO on Australia-Indonesia Science & Technology Working Group (1992-1997), and gave courses on Failure Analysis and Prevention in Indonesia (1992 and 1994), India (2010) and Thailand (2007).
- Papers presented at about 40 international conferences. Seminars on research listed in the following sections presented at numerous universities and research establishments around the world (USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Finland, Austria, Czech Rep., South Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, and NZ).
Honors & Awards
1988 International Metallographic Society/American Society of Metals "Distinguished Lecturer in Metallography Award". This award was for “outstanding leadership and significant contributions to the material-sciences, metallography and related technical fields, and in particular to the application of Metallography to the understanding of materials behaviour”.
2003 Received appreciation certificate in 2003 from Acta Materialia, Inc. for “outstanding contributions to the editorial work (refereeing papers) promoting the quality of the Acta Materialia and Scripta Materialia journals”.
2005 Institute of Materials Engineering Australasia Gifkin's Annual lecture presented. Also invited keynote papers presented at various international conferences, 1989-2013.
2007 and 2008 ASM awards for best papers entitled (i) “A Brief History of Fractography” in Vol.6 in Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention. (Co-authored with S. Moutsos.), and (ii) Failures of Structures and Components by Metal Induced Embrittlement, Vol.8 in Journal of Failure Analysis and Prevention.
2012 Elected Fellow of ASM in recognition of distinguished contributions to the field of materials science and materials engineering.
2014 International Metallographic Society (IMS) Henry Clifton Sorby award
1998-2013 Various internal DSTO awards, e.g. Best contribution to Defence for outstanding contribution in provision of advice on materials based defects and through-life issues for Collins Class submarines, 1998.